Friday, March 14, 2008

I Thought I'd Already Shown You These But...

Hampton, everyone's favourite picnic spot by the sea.
My great-grandmother Lucy Ellen Dickinson (nee Wakeham 1880-1966) is the woman with the hat (yes you guessed right... milliner by trade), my darling Grandma is the baby to her right a bit at the back on some guy's knee (Uncle Dave Gardener, who died Christmas Eve on the way home from work. Grandma said he was a mean poultry farmer. They'd stayed there and for 6 weeks he gave the children nothing but chicken broth. Grandma's little sister Tiny said 'If only we could have some meat, if only just a sausage!).
My great-grandfather George is bottom right. He took the next photo and you can see people responding to him in it.
The woman directly left to my Nanna (Lucy) is Aunty Mary Wakeham (her sister and my Grandma's favourite Aunt). Mary taught my Grandma to crochet at age 5 with regular sewing cotton and a fine hook. She died in a lift accident. She had pressed the button for a lift, the story as I remember it is that she was meeting her sister Lucy, and George . The lift arrived but she was distracted by someone and didn't go in immediately. When she did moments later... she opened the first gate (if you will remember how it was) and stepped in but the lift had gone up to meet Lucy & George, and she fell to her death down the lift well. I have a couple of things she made. I'll show you...

The baby on the bottom right, Tommy, died of a snake bite when he was 15. His dad there died from an asthma attack.

I know you probably don't care but I have to put it here...

1 comment:

shula said...

Jesus, how gothic!

Lucky you to have the stories, though.