This is how it'd done you see. Easy Peasy. I'll try to find my sketch... I think I gave my only drawing to Betty (my daughter Claire) and cut up the copy... I'll go have a squiz while I'm waiting for the pictures to upload...
Nah, it's gone. But you can just use this picture here if you're inclined to make one.
I embroidered the teeth this time. I like the felt teeth but it wouldn't have suited this girl. Oh, and contrary to my nature I have used FRAYSTOPPER. It's a stinky, glue-type substance that Mum had (for doll making it's very useful, on fingers) and it makes the wool behave. It's brilliant actually, and I'm not any kind of gadget lover. I used it on the edging of a jacket I made (a copy) that had raw edges. I've had the jacket for years and it doesn't fray.
So, you can see that the eyes are done in a Reverse Applique method. The extra felt gives the stitching for the nose, chin and under the eyes a quilted look. Dimension. Texture.
For the tears of laughter, I did a little outline in Stem stitch before working the Satin. It makes a lot of difference.
When I do the binding I'll post the pictures so you can see how easy it is.
Just looking at the picture of Sadie, I'll have to copy her laugh...