Sunday, February 23, 2020

Some Thoughts On Proddy Rugs

Within the group, we have made a few Proddy or Proggy or Clippy or Peggy rugs. I’ve made two myself, with another on the frame. 
Whilst you can’t get the finesse or detail of hooked rugs, the ‘impressionist’ look you will achieve is lovely, let alone the beautiful softness. But I have some opinions on the matter, and for my own future reference and to share I'll stick them together and have a blether (something for the new Facebook page). 

Anne Shafer's Liquorice Allsorts proddy rug. The colurs are well defined against each other. Each line is at least three rows of prods. Anne mostly used blankets and polo fleece.
Next is Anne's Poppy rug. Again, even with the mottled background, the poppies pop. 

Inspired to try my hand and use up a substantial amount of stash, I worked out a design and began my own. The silky nature of the fabric gives it a lovely sheen. Used are old shantung curtains, cottons, silks... mostly dress fabrics.
I cut the strips slightly off grain, not a full bias. This means the ends don’t fray. Something I ignored on the next yellow and pink version and it sheds bits all over the place. Which doesn’t bother me really. Not as much as it should.

I followed Anne's advice, making my sections each a good contrast and the lines three rows thick. The green lines separating the sectons and a dark brown behind it works quite well. I'm really happy with this one! So...

I started another... It looks brighter here I have to say. I’ll often start with a couple of fabrics (from my stash) that I want to design around. In this case it was the yellow and some pinks and lilacs (as per the centre of the first). I thought I’d cut my bits longer than the last but this was a mistake, I feel. It’s too shaggy! Mind you it feels lovely underfoot... Plus, the value or shade of the lilac is too similar to the yellow, so it’s not well defined. One of the pinks is a muted dusty colour (pretty in itself), but it looks a little muddy. While the back shows reasonable definition, the front doesn't. Still... it'll do...

To be honest, I started this one (below) second, but it's been rolled up for Quite Some Time. I do love using silks and exotic fabrics, old clothes etc., so get sidetracked, and whilst I like the colours, they're not really going to suit the house. I do that all of the time though, so what's new? It's all blanketing.
I thought that would make it tough and hard to step on, but it isn't. It's cosy.


OK so just get on and finish it! But, my point is (in writing this) the colour definition is nice. Note to self, take your own advice!
Chris Noorbergen is making this gorgeous tropical leafy rug. 'll get a better picture. Chris lives at lovely Loch, in West Gippsland (I'd say it's Gippy). Her strength of colour is beautiful and the dyed blackish background makes the design very strong.

Obviously there is a lot to be said for any type of design and we only have to follow our own taste. My hubby is always telling me to do a scketch first but the only one I have done is for the only one I'm not in love with. It's hard to know what fabric I'll find. If you are dyeing your cloth, then  you can colour in your drawing. But when it's all scraps and stash it's a bit more difficult.
I want to start another proggy now though. Now I know what I need to think of. Maybe I'll think through Where I want it, What is needs to go with and begin from there.
Or maybe I won't.

Thursday, February 06, 2020

Jackson’s Stash Knit-Down Cardigan
Finished notes: It’s a top down pattern so I kept going to make it bigger. It’s too big now because (ha ha ha, typical) I didn’t count my stitches properly. Never mind. Children grow huh. 
I looked at other patterns for dimensions (i.e. sleeves and body length) and it should fit a 3-4 year old (little sweetie pie is just two!). Using the other design mentioned above for the hood, I picked up stitches behind the collar to begin and cut the collar off later, binding it in black. It worked just fine and looks nice. The collar makes it special. 
Also, I forgot to keep adding buttonholes (idiot!) so sewed the three I did remember closed, stitched a ribbon on the back (which makes it sturdier anyway) and hammered on metal studs. I dabbed a gloop of Fray Setter over the holes I made in the ribbon just to be sure it didn’t pull apart. 
On the hood front I continued knitting the garter stitch band and sewed it back on itself to accomodate a cord. The cord is Knitting Nancy style, with a little hand turned machine I have (not your old nails on a cotton reel style). I-cord would have done but this is good too and quick. 
The whole of it is with stash. I delved into my Spindrift for some extra blue (doubled) when the one ball of blue ran out but it was still stash. 
OK, I confess, I bought the black! Only because the very old black crepe I had from Grandma (45 years old) seemed a risk after a couple of rows. As in a bit frail. 
The colours are quite deep and the blue gives it a fantastic boost. Nice combo of brights and drabs. 
He’s a reddish blondey fair brown haired lad so it will suit him well. Little darling! 
19th January 2020 
I’ve had this pattern waiting so long that now the largest size will only fit for the shortest time, so I’m going to add increase rows before splitting for the sleeves. The beauty of top-down. 
This Bendigo 8ply is not the softest wool, but it’s practical for a toddlers needs and the colours are lovely.