Monday, May 09, 2022

A Crack At Making A Knitting Belt


Finished Object. 20 x 9 cm plus loops. For info regarding their use, go here.


After questioning everyone for information (thanks everyone) regarding the use of knitting belts, I have had a go at making one. Much to my disappointment, I had neither horse hair nor coconut fibre at hand, to stuff it. Unusual that I don't have everything I need in my room!
(I've used other stuff now. Pictured below).
I contemplated using a heavy, raw silk fabric (cut into strips and shoved in tightly). Silk was used in ancient armour because it has the ability to slow arrows and swords and such like. I haven't tested the theory so don't try it at home, but it is a gritty, fine and dense fibre. 
Mozzie's won't bite you through the finest silk cloth.
But, I thought, the needle may need to be held somewhat, by the stuffing. So I'll wait (I didn't wait). I looked inside our vintage 1950's lounge suite (it has a massive tear in it) but they've used cotton rag stuffing so I couldn't raid that either. (I later wondered if it might work after all, but too late).

Oh, that's right! I can use sisal and will go immediately to cut a piece off some rope! (I did).

I thought I'd share the process:


I've left the stitching open here, waiting for stuffing. You can see the silver studs or rivets at the ends, through the four thicknesses of leather. Tuck the loops in the ends and bang a stud/rivet through all 4 layers. I did this first, before stitching, so I could stitch right up to the gaps.


The template is 20cm long and 9cm wide. The holes are roughly 2.5cm apart down the centre, then the outside rows of holes are in between (staggered) and roughly down a line that runs between the side and centre lines. Push a chalky pencil (or poke an awl) through these points to mark the leather, then punch the holes for your needles. Mine are small holes, maybe 3mm at the most... even a little less... because the leather isn't stiff (as it probably should be) so they will stretch soon enough.


I decided to put loops at the ends. I might have had one end with a long strap and a loop at the other, but I don't have a long strap's worth of leather. I'll find something, a cord, some bale-twine. I figure if I have a loop, I can pull the long end through and tuck it anyway so whilst I have plenty of little buckles, I didn't intend to use one. (Update: I purchased a belt strap from a leather worker at the Vic Market for $11 AU, my only cost).

This stitch I know as Glove stitch. I pulled 3 strands of strong linen, together, through a bees wax candle. I left enough at the beginning to secure later (so I could stitch it to itself). 
Bring your needle up through the first hole, now wind around and back and up through the same hole. Next, go around again but up into the next hole. Hold it in place as you go and be firm. Repeat. 
It might have been sensible to run a bead of glue down, inside, before I stitched it... but I didn't want to have a sticky mess.


My pictures are working backwards...sorry about that... 
I punched the edge holes on the smallest setting, then marked the other piece through them, to be sure they lined up. I didn't bother measuring these edge holes, just so long as they are the same top and bottom (wrong sides facing).



My father was a fireman so I never burn candles in the house. Maybe it was our housefire when I was little that put me off? But this little beauty is very handy for things like this or to strengthen thread for quilting  (if I did quilting anymore that is, and I might yet).


Careful not to mark them one way and then try and put them together the other way, like I did. The holes didn't line up!

I've ordered long double pointed needles in a couple of brands (ok, three brands. 40cm and 35cm. It's my birthday next month so I crumble willingly over the Paypal button). 

I'm looking forward to trialling the method. I've been noticing that when I use dpn's, I 'prop' the right needle a bit already, so it seems a natural next step.


EDIT: Here we are, I found some stuff! Jute from a coffee sack, nylon tulle cut into 5x5cm bits, heavy linen (heavy rug hooking open-weave), strands of jute from a coffee sack and some ancient (possibly) mariners (or fireman's) rope from my (fireman) Dad. 
Ready to go, after I pulled the rope bits. Yay!

Next, obviously, stuff it. Poke the filling down with a blunt object. Do a little at a time and compress it firmly as you go (don't wait until it's all in before shoving it down).
Now finish off the stitching or binding and secure your ends well.

I have made a template in pdf but have to figure out how to add it.... in the meantime, here’s a pic. 

No comments: